Zanardi still serious after second operation

JUNE 30, 2020

Zanardi still serious after second operation

Alex Zanardi, British GP 1993
© The Cahier Archive

Alex Zanardi on Monday remained in a "serious" condition after surgeons operated on his brain for a second time.

In a statement issued by the Santa Maria alle Scotte hospital in Siena, Italy, doctors decided to operate after carrying out a CT scan.

Zanardi, 53, has been in a coma ever since crashing into a truck during a hand-cycling race on June 19.

"The diagnostic examination showed an evolution of the patient's state, making it necessary to resort to a second neurosurgery," the hospital announced on Monday.

After the 2.5 hour operation, the former F1 driver remains "stable from the cardio-respiratory and metabolic point of view, and serious from the neurological point of view".

"The prognosis remains confidential," the hospital added.

Hospital director Roberto Gusinu said: "The intervention represented a step that had been hypothesised by the team.

"Our professionals will evaluate the evolution of the situation day by day. In agreement with the family, the next bulletin will be released in about 24 hours," he added.

(GMM)

Other stories for JUNE 30, 2020

F1 REINSTATES PRE-RACE GRID PROCEDURE FOR AUSTRIA

BLACK DRIVER HAS ONLY RESPECT FOR ECCLESTONE

MAGNUSSEN'S F1 CAREER IN PERIL SAYS NIELSEN

VETTEL DOESN'T LIKE FERRARI POLITICS SAYS MARKO

LECLERC ADMITS 2020 VICTORY WILL BE DIFFICULT

MAX'S FATHER HOPES RED BULL CLOSE TO MERCEDES

ZANARDI STILL SERIOUS AFTER SECOND OPERATION

BAHRAIN BANK LOANS MCLAREN $185M