An aero engine specialist, Lampredi trained with the Piaggio company - best known for the Vespa scooter - before he joined Isotta-Fraschini and then, during the war, the Reggiane aircraft company. He joined Ferrari in 1946 and designed the 4.5-liter V12 engine. This engine began appearing in 1950 with the 275S. Lampredi left Ferrari in March 1947 and returned to Isotta-Fraschini but was back at Ferrari eight months later and stayed there until 1955 when Ferrari bought the Lancia F1 cars and hired Vittorio Jano. He oversaw the company's early World Championship success in 1952 and 1953. He joined Fiat and was put in charge of engine design until 1977 and between 1973 and 1982 was managing-director of Abarth - the company's competition offshoot.